Caves are fascinating places. Whether you’re a cave aficionado or a spelunking newbie, you’ll be amazed by what awaits you beneath the earth’s surface. Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, home to a mountain-top of thrill rides, is also the location of Colorado’s most decorated cave room! See this spectacular wonder for yourself and check out these five other great reasons to visit a show cave.
- Explore a rare environment. Like fingerprints, no two caves are exactly alike. The sights on a Glenwood Caverns cave tour include breath-taking formations, millions of years in the making, such as stalagmites, stalactites, aragonite crystals, flowstone and cave bacon. On the tour, an underground light show spotlights formations and dazzles visitors of all ages.
- Spend quality time together. Some of the best family memories are made during vacations. Exploring caves with kids can spark an interest in science and nature that could last a lifetime. Photos enable you to relive those great vacation memories, so take plenty.
- Learn something new. Guided tours teach guests about cave history and the surrounding area, as well as its geology, the positive impacts of bats and the importance of cave conservation. Cave science is an intriguing subject. In 2000, seven previously unknown species of bacteria were discovered in an underground lake inside Glenwood Caverns. Scientists are currently exploring how they might be used in developing new medicines to fight disease.
- Improve wellbeing. Multiple studies show that nature boosts our mental and physical health. Benefits include restored mental energy, better vision in children, improved concentration, sharper thinking and creativity. Spending time in natural spaces, including caves, has been linked to increased energy, improved cognition, reduced stress, lower blood pressure and slower heart rates.
- Have fun! At Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, getting to the caves is as much a part of the fun as the caves themselves. Aboard the Iron Mountain Tramway, a scenic gondola ride, visitors are transported from the valley floor to America’s only mountain–top theme park. At the top, guests can take turns on some of the world’s most thrilling rides including the award-winning Haunted Mine Drop and the Giant Canyon Swing.
Find out more about guided tours, cave history, thrill rides and attractions at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.