Tuesday, October 15: Meet Writer in Residence Aja Gabel
Aja Gabel’s debut novel, “The Ensemble,” is out now from Riverhead Books. Aja’s prose can be found in Kenyon Review, New England Review, Glimmer Train, BOMB, and elsewhere. Her work has garnered awards from Atlantic Monthly and the Sewanee Writers’ Conference. She earned her BA at Wesleyan University, her MFA at the University of Virginia, and has a PhD in Literature and Creative Writing from the University of Houston. Aja was recently a fellow at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, and currently lives in Los Angeles with her dog, Bear. Residency program held in partnership with the Catto Shaw Foundation. Thank you to our hosts at Hooch. DOORS OPEN AT 5:00 P.M. Click HERE for more info.
- Time and date: Tuesday, October 15 | 5:30-6:30 p.m. Location: Hooch Craft Cocktail Bar. Admission price: FREE, event is open to all Contact info: [email protected] | 970-925-3122 View Event on Facebook.
Aspen Words FALL WRITING WORKSHOP
Saturday, October 19| 10 A.M. – 4 P.M.
- How to Write a Page-Turner: A Workshop for Fiction, Memoir + Narrative Nonfiction Writers
High tension is probably the No. 1 reason readers keep reading. Whether you’re writing fiction, memoir or narrative nonfiction, if you can keep your reader on the edge of his or her seat by creating and maintaining tension throughout scene after scene, that reader will stay up way too late reading your book and tell all his friends to go out and buy it. In this workshop, we’ll delve into the interplay of all the elements that raise tension and create conflict and explore how to craft your story to capitalize on each within scenes as well as across your entire plotline. The workshop will include short readings, craft discussion and lots of writing prompts.
The workshop will take place at the Red Brick Center for the Arts (110 E. Hallam St., Aspen).
TO REGISTRATER FOR THE WORKSHOP VISIT WWW.ASPENWORDS.COM
Special price for Aspen Writers Network members: $40. Non-members: $95.
Join Aspen Writers Network today (annual membership $135) and get access to members-only events and special discounts on Aspen Words programs.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Rachel Weaver is the author of the novel “Point of Direction,” which Oprah Magazine named a Top 10 Book to Pick Up Now. “Point of Direction” was chosen by the American Booksellers Association as a Top 10 Debut for Spring 2014, by IndieBound as an Indie Next List Pick, by Yoga Journal as one of their Top Five Suggested Summer Reads and won the 2015 Willa Cather Award for Fiction. Prior to earning her MFA in writing and poetics from Naropa University, Rachel worked for the Forest Service in Alaska studying bears, raptors and songbirds. She is on faculty at Regis University’s low-residency MFA program, and at Lighthouse Writers Workshop, where she won the Beacon Award for Teaching Excellence in 2018. Her work has appeared in The Sun, Gettysburg Review, Blue Mesa Review, Alaska Women Speak and Fly-Fishing New England. Read MORE.
- Time and date: Saturday, October 19 | 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Location: Red Brick Center for the Arts | 110 E. Hallam St. Admission price: $95 Contact info: [email protected] | 970-925-3122. View Event on Facebook
WINTER WORDS LINEUP ANNOUNCEMENT PARTY
Wednesday, October 23 | 5 – 6:30 P.M.
- Join Aspen Words as they unveil the lineup for the 23rd annual Winter Words series, featuring best-selling and award-winning authors. We’ll toast to the start of the season with complimentary refreshments, and series passes will be available for purchase. Explore Booksellers also will be on hand with books for sale. Come say hello and help us kick off what we’re sure will be an amazing 2020 Winter Words series!
2020 Winter Words Dates
- Tuesday, January 7, 2020 | 6:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.) | Author to be announced
- Tuesday, January 28, 2020 | 6:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.) | Author to be announced
- Tuesday, February 18, 2020 | 6:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.) | Author to be announced
- Tuesday, March 10, 2020 | 6:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.) | Author to be announced
- Tuesday, March 31, 2020 | 6:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:30 p.m.) | Author to be announced
The party will take place at the Red Brick Center for the Arts (110 E. Hallam St., Aspen). Time and date: Wednesday, October 23 5:00 p.m. Location: Red Brick Center for the Arts | 110 E. Hallam St. Admission price: FREE, event is open to all Contact info: [email protected] | 970-925-3122. Click HERE for more info. Facebook Event.