Aspen’s most inclusive calendar is curated daily to ensure that you can find everything happening in our valley in one place. Submit your events to be included in our weekly conversations
- This event has passed.
5th Anniversary Salon in Aspen
September 10, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm UTC-6
The Salon is an award-winning performance series featuring contemporary, classical, jazz, folk, world, spoken word, multimedia and dance, founded in Philadelphia by composer Andrea Clearfield in 1986 and in Aspen by Andrea and Michele Kiley. Alya Howe, local performance artist, started a Salon in Carbondale last year and has been co-hosting and co-curating the Aspen Salon with Andrea. The Salon features a diverse array of performers and celebrates arts in community. Join Alya and Andrea, as they celebrate the 5 Year Anniversary of the Salon in Aspen on the stage of the historic Wheeler Opera House with this exciting program!
The Salon Program:
PRELUDE: Andrea Clearfield will perform piano music of Brahms and Lloyd Weber in collaboration with choreography by Alya Howe and special guest Marisa Paull Gorst
1. Wayne & René of Bittersweet Highway perform Borderland Americana: “music from the fringes”
2. Averill Lovely, vocalist/guitarist shares musical reflections from his hobo years:“The Long Road: Observations of a Global Hobo”
3. Tania Stavreva, virtuoso pianist, performs original compositions + works by Ginastera and Bulgarian composers from her Billboard Top 10 album Rhythmic Movement
4. The Versatile Harp: Janet Harriman will play works by Carter Pann, Carlos Salsedo and 2 Jazz arrangements by her father for the harp
5. “Mind the Gap”; poetry from 3 generations, Beverely patton, Elissa Rodman and Alya Howe
6. Stand Up Comedy with Denver’s AJ Finney