Aspen’s most inclusive calendar is curated daily to ensure that you can find everything happening in our valley in one place. Submit your events to be included in our weekly conversations
- This event has passed.
Snowmass Balloon Festival
September 8, 2017 @ 2:00 am - September 10, 2017 @ 11:00 am UTC-6
The Snowmass Balloon Festival fills the sky with one of the highest-altitude balloon events in the country. Over three days, 30 pilots compete in challenges such as a distance race that covers the whole Roaring Fork Valley. Highlights include Saturday Evening Glow on Fanny Hill and free music with light show featuring brightly colored balloons lighting up the night sky. All Balloon Festival events are free.
Friday, September 8
7am-10am: Carter Memorial Colorado Rat Race
Saturday, September 9
7am-10am: The Snowmass Ascension & X-Marks the Spot
7:30am-10am: Kids’ Elevation Station (Free bouncy house, face painting and more)
7:45pm-9pm: Saturday Evening Balloon Glow and 90’s Night Glow Show
Sunday, September 10
7am-10am: The Snowmass Ascension and Balloon Dance
7:30am-10am: Kids’ Elevation Station(Free bouncy house, face painting and more)
- Volunteers will be asked to crew for a balloon pilot for one or up to three days plus a night glow.
- You will be asked to come to the launch field by 6:30 a.m. each morning for a couple of hours and 5:00 p.m. for the night glow.
- Your volunteer job will be working with your pilot to help set up the balloon on the launch field. You will get to chase the balloon and help pack it up when the flight is over. Flights can last a couple of hours. You are invited to tailgate with your pilot after the flight. Your pilot will provide the tailgate food and drinks.
So, why should you volunteer for Snowmass Balloon Festival?
- Each volunteer will receive a 40th Anniversary Snowmass Balloon Festival t-shirt.
- You will have the ability to get to know the pilots and interact with the hot air balloon.
- If you volunteer to crew for a pilot the entire weekend, all three days, you will get to fly with your pilot on Sunday, weather permitting.
- If your pilot is one of the pilots doing the glow show, dinner will be provided before the glow on Fanny Hill. Email Colleen Johnson ([email protected]) to sign-up as a volunteer.